By Sarah Fichter
In 2022, society will live in a world where almost everyone has a mobile device. Mobile devices are beneficial and entertaining to own, but is being glued to your phone worth risking your life?
Be Aware of Texting While Driving Laws
• No state bans all cellphone use for all drivers, but 37 states and D.C. ban all cellphone use by novice drivers, and 23 states and D.C. prohibit it for school bus drivers, according to Governors Highway Safety Association.
• In Kansas, drivers with a learner or intermediate license are banned from cellphone use.
• In Kansas, texting while driving is banned for all drivers on the road.
• In Kansas, there is no hand-held ban while driving.
• Currently, 48 states, D.C., Puerto Rico, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands and the U.S. Virgin Islands, ban text messaging for all drivers, according to Governors Highway Safety Association.
How to Manage Texting While Driving
It is almost impossible to stop drivers from texting while driving, but there are ways to manage and maintain the number of people that choose to do it.
Controlling Drivers Speed
Drivers are less likely to be distracted while driving when speed control objects are on the road. These could include speed bumps, speed humps, roundabouts and speed limiters. This forces the driver to pay attention to the road and control their vehicle instead of having time to be on their phone.
Having police cars stationed in some regions of major highways forces drivers to follow the road rules and will be less likely to be on their phones when they notice police cars on the side of the road.
If an individual is texting while driving, it is essential to have the precautions instilled on highways. Crash barriers are located on the side of highways if a driver starts drifting off the side of the road. This prevents the driver from crashing into the opposite lane on the highway and slowing their car down to avoid a multi-auto crash.
As technology advances, there will be more mobile devices and potential distractions for drivers to use on the road. Drivers must be aware of the facts and risks of owning such devices and using them while driving. Technology advancements have brought fantastic inventions that help individuals in society professionally and personally. It is essential to understand that not all devices are toys. They are products to help people – a piece of technology to make societies’ life more manageable. Understanding the risks of texting while driving and implementing caution toward it can save your own life and others around you.
If the worst case scenario occurs, make sure you’re covered. Contact a TrustPoint Insurance & Real Estate agent today!